Thursday, February 21, 2008

blame canada, or fedex.

Here is my latest rant - its a goodie. Long story short, I needed to send a DVD to Canada. Just one DVD, in a case, safely secured in a small bubble wrap envelope. Total weight 1.3 oz. It didn't need to be there by a certain date - its just needed to be postmarked by Feb.22. Please take a moment and guesstimate how much you think this would cost.
This is what FedEx wanted to charge me: $56.73.

Yup, that's right, $57 to mail a DVD to Canada. I verbalized my astonishment, then reluctantly handed over my debit card. Once in the car I called my Dad (who apparently knows everything about the mail, cars and taxes). He said the cheapest was always the US Postal Service - although they may not be as fast or efficient. UPS and FedEx are private companies and can charge whatever they want. I had no idea, Dave had no idea - shouldn't we be learning these things in school?

Needless to say, I U-turned it and demanded my DVD back. They handed it over, and canceled my transaction. I headed to the Post Office about a block away.

This is what the Post Office wanted to charge me: $1.95.

Yup, $2. I couldn't believe it. You'd think I would have been happy - but it just fueled my rage against FedEx. I choose to blame Canada and FedEx for my hideous afternoon.

4 comments:

AnnaYoung said...

HAHAHAHahahaha! I'm so glad you got yoru money and DVD back! BUt that really is hilarious. . .

Reminds me of the time I was waiting in line at the USPS and a woman walks up to the counter and says "I need you to fed ex this box to [pickastate] for me", The guy said "we don't do fedex". Lady: what do you mean?! I need you to fed ex this box! Man: Ma'am, fed ex is a private company, we can send it priority, but you'll have to drop it off at a fed ex location for them to send it.

It was awesome--I should have told her she'd get a way better deal there at the USPS! : )

Lindy said...

Take off, eh!

Jackie said...

I hope you punched the clerk as you were leaving, just to better make your point.

Rae said...

Amazing. I did sorta the same thing, though not quite so much money and I am not as determined as you so I didn't demand it back. But my mom did say "duh honey, postal service, although Fedex is sometimes worth missing the lines at the post office"
PS where is your "the cutlers (r)" link? I know I am not the leading lady of the page, but it's a start right? I gotta represent somehow.