Sunday, April 6, 2008

we've been hit.

I finally made time to check out this little fabric shop in Lehi called Broadbent. I was in search of fabric for PG's nursery curtains. Yawn yawn, I know. I had read this shop was a still functioning "General Store" est. in 1882 - so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did find was awesomeness to the max.

Let's just say I was the only one in the store that didn't have gray curly hair and a shawl. They did have a fabulous selection of quilting fabrics, but that was all in the "textiles section" (which was practically 1/2 the store). I realized they didn't have what I wanted, but I couldn't wait to look around anyway. Here are some treasures I found:
  • A section dedicated to hankies.
  • locally made knit and cotton baby clothes (which were very darling)
  • an ENTIRE wall full of 70's ish glass goblets, tea cups and pitchers (with do not touch signs in full force).
  • 6 glass display cases chuck full of Precious Moments statues.
  • a large selection of what I can only describe as old lady silk shirts.
As I was making my last round I overheard the convo between all of the ladies that either worked there, or were regulars. They were describing an "incident" that happened the previous weekend. Apparently there was a strange woman walking around, putting anything and everything she could get her hands on into an oversized purse. The worker recounted how she followed this lady and kept asking if she needed a basket or anything, to which she received a prompt "no". So the worker decided she had the perfect solution: play hymns over the radio.

To her surprise - this didn't stop the woman from putting more things into her purse. "I couldn't believe it, there she was thieving while hymns were playing!". By this point, I started dilly dallying b/c I had to hear the end. Here's how it concluded:

  • Worker: "so she started heading for the door, and that's when I knew she was going to run for it".
  • Regular customer: "so what did you do?".
  • Worker: "Well, I called the police immediately, you know - to tell you we'd been hit....Then Anne ran out the door to catch her, but she'd already sped away". Note: I can only imagine Anne is elderly, bless her heart, because the "parking lot" is a total of 4 slots located 10 ft outside the store exit.
  • Regular: "Oh my - what did she get?"
  • Worker: "EVERYTHING! Hankie's, fabric swatches, knit dresses, tons of stuff."
Regardless of not finding what I wanted, it was definitely worth the trip.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Scandalized old ladies are the best variety of old ladies.

I can't wait to be an old lady. I'm gonna be really good at it, I think...

Jackie said...

I think you will be, Suz. Good indeed.

This is a wonderful story. Hopefully they learned the importance of tasering people before they leave the store.