I had an appointment with the Dentist today (or rather the Crentist, for all of you Office enthusiasts). As I was filling out my paperwork, I noticed the music over the intercom was Neil Diamond's "Lonely Lady #17". I looked at the early 20-something receptionists and noticed her defeated pose, pursed lips, and tired eyes. "Maybe its because she has to listen to Neil Diamond-esc music all day" I chuckled to myself.
My turn was up, and as I was escorted back to the Crentist chair for my cleaning, I got a quick look around the office. And by quick I mean it was the tiniest dentist office I've ever seen. No biggie, I laid back as the assistant started scrubbing my teeth with that sandy toothpaste we all love. My feet started swaying to the music "Sweet Caroline", by.....Neil Diamond. Huh. There he is again. 2 in a row.
It was then I realized what was happening. This was SIRIUS radio - satellite. Which means you can listen to whatever you want, whenever you want. AND this was the "Neil Diamond Sirius radio station". There you have it - 2 assistants, and 1 receptionist crammed into a tiny office with a Neil Diamond obsessed Crentist. Not even a smidge of variety, just Neil Diamond, 24/7.
The last time I heard a Neil Diamond song was in 9th grade. Our History teacher, Mrs. Adams, thought it appropriate to start class by playing "America" - during one of the units we were studying. Apparently Neil embodies all of what our country stands for - thus began my distaste for the Diamond.
At any rate - it helped me understand this poor receptionist's lack of customer care - I guess it really was that she was stuck in a Neil Diamond black hole. Don't worry sweetie, I'm sure you won't be working there forever.
2 comments:
Well this story was interesting, it doesn't explain why you have so many Neil Diamond t-shirts, concert ticket stubs, fan club officer positions, and autographed paraphernalia. You have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool me, Doughty.
Sarah, Its your old buddy shawn. Neil Diamond is a classic. every true American must love him. The blog is great. sounds like you guys are doing well. Talk to ya later.
Post a Comment