Saturday, June 14, 2008

what's in a name.

I'm pretty sure Utah it the capital of small start up businesses. Could the high failure ratehave to do with the establishments name? Or just the crappy merchandise? -Here are some fabulous examples:
  • kinder winkel
    • A children's clothing boutique. I'm sure there's darling stuff in there, but I just can't bring myself to step foot in your store. Sorry Winkel.
  • guadalahonky's
    • I can only assume a Mexican meets "Cracker" restaurant? The little logo is a donkey with sunglasses, apparently that exemplifies the two cultures...
  • pebbles in my pocket
    • A scrapbooking joint. Need I say more?
  • pudding on the rice
    • I can only assume its play on words for "Puttin' on the Ritz" which is horrific in its own rite. But in addition, its a restaurant that has dedicated its entire menu to gourmet rice pudding. I'm not sure what that even means.
  • knee shorts
    • "Walking shorts and modest apparel" - because a good pair of walking shorts sure is hard to find.
  • La Vigna
    • An Italian restaurant: I know other states have restaurants with the same name - just a different franchise I guess. But one things for sure - their big sign does NOT look like it says La Vigna. Just do some letter scrambling and you'll see what I mean.
and the piece de resistance:
  • husband and wife
    • This is a novelty store dedicated to "strengthening marriages by encouraging intimacy". I wonder if you have to flash a marriage certificate to get through the door....there's too much to say about that one, so I'll just leave it alone.
Also - please note I have not set foot into any of these establishments. Although curiosity may kill the cat on that last store. I'm not sure what "tasteful, comfortable, clean intimacy items" means, but I'm dying to find out.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

I would avoid pudding on the rice. You would think it was just a bunch of flavors of rice pudding (and I love rice pudding). No, different flavors of instant jello pudding mixed with rice. It is disgusting. Apparently they have one in DC too!

the meyersons said...

IF and when you do visit the last listed store..inquiring minds will in fact need an update.

I did however, get gas at guadalahonkeys.

Lindy said...

Seriously--Husband and Wife? Have you seen that book at the Church bookstore call "And They Shall Not Be Ashamed" or something? I'm sorry, but I'm not mature enough for this kind of stuff.

erin said...

Pebbles in my Pocket was renamed from the original store, Paper Hearts. I still call it Paper Hearts. There is one by my parents' house that I used to go to all the time.

Pudding on the Rice really isn't that fabulous. Maybe just because I'm biased with real rice pudding from Europe. Even the stuff in the grocery stores is better than this. It's a good attempt though.

Anonymous said...

Lol! Guadalahonky? That is horrible. Why???

I went to church with the owners of Pebbles in my Pocket when we lived in Orem. Needless to say, we did a lot of scrapbooking in our activities...but I am happy to say that I've never been in the store ;-)

Suzanne said...

Pebbles in my Pocket has infiltrated California, too. But no Husband and Wife yet. We prefer our intimacy to be tasteless, uncomforable, and dirty, thank you very much.

Also, I wouldn't eat at La Vagina either. Oh, wait... what did you say it was called again?

SuburbanZoo said...

I have the same problem with La Vigna. It gets me every time. I got an email once that said as long as the first and last letters are correct, you can mix up the other letters all you want and your brain will still read the word correctly. Maybe that's the problem. Either way, I'm quite sure I'll never eat there.

darcie said...

i have NEVER passed la vigna without thinking just that!! call me a perv but i can't help it.