Sunday, August 3, 2008

the great debate.

A few weeks ago, Preston spent the morning at my sis in law Kristin's house while I went to work. When I went to pick him up, she informed me that he had been mesmerized with the classic Mr. Potato Head toy her daughter Maya has. PG has maybe 10 toys, so I thought - FABULOUS - I think I can swing a Mr. Potato Head doll. Dave and I set out for Toys R Us that weekend. (This is one of Dave's favorite stores - any excuse and we're there.)

We looked up and down all the isles where we thought we might find MPH. Eventually we ended up in the GI Joe isle, which I was quite certain was not the place. As I tried to get Dave's attention diverted from the GI Joe's to our current task at hand, we started arguing over where in the store MPH would be. Dave insisted "Action figures" which is just ridiculous - on many levels. I was maintaining that it was on the "toddler" isle. To which Dave argued that "MPH isn't a toddler toy - he's much more sophisticated".

Is this what my life has come to? Spending a Saturday in a toy store arguing that Mr. Potato Head could in no way, shape, or form, be an action figure? First of all - he's a potato, not a person. And what is his action per se? If anything he's a gender confused victim of body dysmorphic disorder. Regardless - I ended our squabble the usual way - with a 3rd party. Tracy, the Toys R Us employee, showed me where they were - in the "Preschool" section. I still think I was closer to being right than Dave, but who's counting......
Also - why wasn't this Spidey version in the store? I don't think I've laughed so hard in all my life.....Part of me wants to buy it, and put it on my night stand so I can belly laugh every morning when I wake up.

Also...ALSO - in Toys R Us there was an entire 2 aisles dedicated to Bratz dolls. How disgusting. Do we really live in a world that necessitates such an abundance of sleazy children's toys?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Story: One day, about three years ago, I stumbled across the Darth Vader MPH! No joke! I HAD to buy him. My old room mate Kim got him in the mail for her birthday. I really don't think she had any idea what to make of it.

mwahahahaha!

Lindy said...

I love how you refer to MPH as a doll. You are buying your son a doll. Admit it. Would you like me to send him a Bratz doll for his birthday?

darcie said...

so dave was right too. he's a superhero action figure potato that got the bad end of the deal with a radioactive spider.

AnnaYoung said...

ITs totally a toddler toy. You're right (from a former employee). Also, the spidey one went on clearance a long time ago so they're probably tough to find-yes we had the darth one too for awhile.

I wanted to vomit everytime I had to sign/price the bratz aisle.