Monday, October 6, 2008

weird science. literally.

Ok - long story short, we had PG try hot dogs this weekend. Much to my surprise and dismay, he liked them. I'm not one to diss a good hot dog - especially the Costco type. But, I'd rather PG eat more substantial meats (chicken, turkey etc). Oh well.

So I was prepping said hot dogs for his lunch today by chopping them up and nuking them. Problem - they started SPARKING in the microwave. No way, no way, no way. To me, this only connotates one thing - metal. Am I right, or am I right? As I rapidly looked up the hot god brand website and simultaneously scolded my husband for convincing me to have my child eat hot dogs, I came across this article:
"Some foods such as raw carrots and hot dogs can cause arching (sparks) while being microwaved. In hot dogs this can be due to the uneven mixing of salts and additives."
- USDA: Microwave Ovens and Food Safety

Gigga what? Is this common knowledge? Did I miss the hot dog boat? Either way, I have to say I'm certainly a bit relieved, but still slightly terrified. Why don't they teach us these life lessons in school for crying out loud?

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Well get THIS:
If you cut a grape in half and lay the pieces cut-side up in the microwave, after just a few seconds it will cause a seriously scary arch or even a circle of electrical light. True story.

Lindy said...

As much as I want to dislike hotdogs because of how disgusting the raw materials are, I just plain can't. They really are yummy. Goosey agrees.

Suzanne said...

Between this hot dog post and Lindy's ice cream post...

I might be having ice cream covered hot dogs for lunch...

Anonymous said...

I knew about the carrots because of Food Detectives on the Food Network, but they never said anything about hot dogs! I don't have a microwave, so I guess I can't go home and try it out...dang!