We had flown in a Professor from Indiana to film for our documentary. The plan was to film the interview on UC Berkley Campus. So, I called various buildings to schedule before our trip, but none of them would allow us to use their space. Despite my efforts, everyone wanted to go to Berkley. I was told "we'll find a place, its a big campus" - so I was outvoted. This set the stage for my rage.
Here are a few other reasons I insisted we NOT use this location:
- that day was the biggest football game of the year, Berkley vs. Stanford. Crowded and loud doesn't begin to describe it.
- parking was a nightmare
- we had loads of film equipment to lug around while we "found a place"
- I ALREADY called ahead - no room in the inn.
- are we just going to have our interviewee follow us around until we find a spot?
- hippies
On the home stretch was a girl (in birks and a tie dyed shirt) a few yards ahead of us shouting - SAVE THE OCEANS (no joke). I thought to myself - girlfriend better not try and solicit anything out of me. But we locked eyes - the death sentence. I tried to forge ahead, looking at the ground. But she stepped right in front of me. "Do you care about the Earth's oceans?" All my suppressed anger boiled up - "NO, NO I DON'T!" - I shouted 2 inches from her face. She gasped. "You don't? What about the whales?" "NO! I hate them all. And all the hippies!"
Did my argument make sense? No. Was it true? No. But I vowed then and there to never step foot in Berkley again.
Luckily the rest of the trip was a success. We got out interview, and had some time to see the city.
7 comments:
You hate the whales? How do you sleep at night?
Whales are overrated.
Im right with you, I would have done the same thing! Sorry its true!! Oh ya Peace! :)
I would say I hate hippies too, but apparently I am one. But not a birkenstock and tie-dyed wearing, weed smoking, dredlocked hippie. I'm the GOOD kind. The NEW kind. The kind who puts her kid in flushable, biodegradable in 45 days diapers and wants to plant a garden.
So, in summation, you definitely should have yelled at that crazy chick and any drum circles you happend to have passed.
San fran! Well then I guess we won't be inviting ourselves over for games tonight :( Have a fun vaca though, and tell that handsome Dave not to go anywhere alone at night lest he become the new "San Fransisco treat"(ding ding)
-sam
alright I found you - i knew I would in this blogging world - (hope you don't mind) :) Anyway, you are hilarious - i miss seeing you guys - and our forever long chats - remember the last time the four of us were together - and we sat at your house FOREVER and talked and then looked over and Dave and Kia were doing the exact same thing...ha ha ha - well if you don't remember it was pretty funny. the last last time i saw you was at some random burger place in provo and we were both prego... Anyway, i started a blog - not as funny as yours but ya i did it- email me and i will send you an invite...
P.S. your little guy is super cute :)
Bwah ha ha ha ha. Why do the stupid crew always insist on doing things contrary? Do they think our producerly skills are lacking, or that we are just too lazy to do our job, or that its just us that people enjoy saying no to, and that there will be a change of heart when they see a whole crew loaded with equipment on their doorstep? Argh! I would have hated the oceans under those circumstances too!
Post a Comment