Sunday, April 26, 2009

donut.

For some reason lately, D and I have been obsessed with donuts. Sure, we've had them before, and thought they were tasty. But in recent weeks its been as though they are a brand new delicious concept. Needless to say, there have been a few nights where we've felt a donut is the only cure for a late night sugar rush.

One such night was Friday. Dave's little sis was over, and agreed to listen for our slumbering child, so we could get the goods. We hit up a few stores, but all were out of the kinds we wanted. We quickly discovered how naive we were - donuts are generally made in the wee morning hours. Our last stop was a local grocery store called Maceys. This is what we found....the Texas donut.


We stood there - staring at this monster of a pastry arguing over whether to purchase it. After what seemed like hours of laughing hysterically, we put Big Tex in the box, and loaded the box onto our mini cart (which amplified the hilarity). We wheeled our donuts to the nearest check out, and had now hit one of those "passed the point of no return" laughing fits. I was doing everything to avoid eye contact with strangers as I held in my laughter. There were 2 people ahead of us in line, so D decided "Hey, I gotta run to the restroom". "Thanks" I shouted as he left me alone, with the Texas donut, in my sweats and no wedding ring on. I could hear him laughing all the way to the restroom.

I had no choice but to load up the box of donuts, laughing out loud, to no one in particular - and yes people were staring. The guy in line ahead of us literally stared at our purchase for an eternity. Which equaled more laughing out loud, to no one in particular, and more strangers staring. My face hurt to the point of tears as I tried to hold it in. Then the cashier asked if "this" (in reference to our donuts) was part of his purchase. "No. Its mine!" I said in a really high pitched squeaky voice. Luckily D returned at that point, so everyone could witness 2 laughing idiots. I'm sure they found comfort in the fact that at least we had each other. We purchased our treats and ran out as quick as we could to avoid further humiliation.

And that was that. We came home, ate some semi-stale, not necessarily the best ever donuts, and watched Conan. A satisfactory Friday night to be sure.

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Long live the Texas donut!!

You could wear that as a bracelet. Consider it.

Suzanne said...

I want a Texas donut.

Lindsay said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm almost crying over here. Hope 'Big Tex' was as good as it was funny!

Anonymous said...

I have but one word: Awesome.

Lindy said...

Do you wish you could move to a place that could inspire such a hilarious donut now!?!?

In case you were wondering, I laughed out loud. But quietly, because my kids are sleeping.

SuburbanZoo said...

Did you have leftovers?

boxpilot said...

AHA! WE HAVE DONUT FEVER TOO! it doesnt help that every corner in LA has a donut place.

mmmm . . .Santa Monica Donut . . .

AnnaYoung said...

Big donut, check.

Is that generic salsa con queso in the background?! mmmmmm. . . con queso. . . .