Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Opposable toe.

Ok, I saw this news story the other day, and its been haunting my dreams ever since. Its about a guy who had surgeons replace his severed thumb with his big toe. Eventually he will have 80% "thumb function" once he recovers from the replacement. Truly amazing.

BUT we all know how I feel about 99.9% of the feet out there. And while I am stoked that science can accomplish such an amazing "feat" (AHAHAHAHAHA), I still can help but gag/vomit a little in my mouth, at the thought that he will be eating with this toe-finger, shaking other people's hands with this toe finger, perhaps using this toe-finger to turn the page of a book or magazine after being licked etc. Am I crazy? Maybe. I can't say what I'd do if I had to choose between toe-thumb or no thumb at all. Let us pray my life doesn't head in such a direction.

6 comments:

Lindy said...

Doughty--I agree. Whilst I'm glad that this man can enjoy a nice hand with a finger to toe ratio of 4/1, it kind of gives me the creeps! But, keep up the good work, Science!

Jackie said...

I'll pray for that indeed!

But I think I forgot to mention that I had my severed thumb replaced with my big toe years ago. So all those times I've shaken your hand (because we always do that) and prepared food for you, I've mostly been using just my big toe. I hope that's not a problem.

AnnaYoung said...

So. . . . how does he wear flip flops now?

Call me crazy, but that's a dilly of a situation to be in--having to choose between no thumb or never wearing flip flops again. . . I agree with Sarah and hope my life doesn't ever go in that direction.

SuburbanZoo said...

How sad for me that I can't get the link to that news article to work. :-(

boxpilot said...

AH! the article link is broke! AHHH! FIX IT!!!! i want to read the creepy article.

the Allers said...

the link is fixed!