Sunday, March 16, 2008

the day I almost killed us all.

I was multi tasking on Sat. - filling up at Costco and finishing final Boise plans with my mom on my cell phone. As I was plugging in my debit card info, the man filling up on the other side of said pump leaned over to me and the following conversation ensued:
Stranger: "You know, its extremely dangerous to be talking on your cell phone and pumping gas at the same time."
Me: "What?"
Stranger
: "Yeah, the sparks from the phone can ignite a fire".
Me
: "Oh."
Stranger
: "The same thing goes for getting in and our of your car."
I didn't respond, I just hung up my phone (before any sparks hit my face - thank heavens), pumped my gas whilst standing outside in the freezing snow. What a ridiculous, ridiculous man. Then I started thinking to myself, could there me any truth to this statement - is this another nugget of common knowledge that I somehow missed? I called up Dave and was relating my story in between laughing fits, when he ruined my day by saying, "honey its true....I saw it on MythBusters".

Since when is MythBusters our life compass? Anyway - If this show is something you live by (apparently Costco man and my husband do), then this is what I found on the situation.

Apparently, there was an "incident" in Britain in 1999 involving a cell phone (which I could only imagine was similar to the size and shape of Zach Morris's cell phone) and an explosion at a gas station. But since then, there hasn't been much reported. I did find the MythBusters episode; they proved it could happen, but was highly HIGHLY unlikely.

All I have left to say is - thanks stranger - good thing you caught my reckless behavior in time.

Side note: it cost me $42.34 to fill up my tank.....communists.......

5 comments:

Lindy said...

I am so glad that you made it out of there alive. Also, I laughed out loud. Also, those Mythbusters guys are crazy.

Jackie said...

Mythbusters have saved my life many times. Including that time I wanted my sword to break the other guys sword, but then I found out that it's very unlikely it will happen. So luckily I stopped trying.

High fives for strangers at gas stations.

AnnaYoung said...

HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!!! Oh man, that's so awesome! I'm pretty sure gas station man went home pretty proud that he potentially saved a few lives that day : )

There was one mythbusters episode though, about breathing underwater, and Adam couldn't do it so they claimed it Busted. I beg to differ Mythbusters, my sisters used to stay underwater in the jacuzzi for FOREVER by breathing through the little airation bubble-maker thingys on teh bench of the jacuzzi. I could never do it, something about the inhale mouth exhale nose thing, but, moral of htestory, just becuase Adam couldn't do it, doesn't mean its impossible!

PS. They are totally communists!

Lindy said...

Have you ever seen the Mythbusters where they tried to shoot a human dummy over a very high fence to see if illegal immigrants were catapulting themselves over the border fences?

That was WHACK!

Anonymous said...

Um...Mythbusters rocks! Don't knock science sista, you will regret it!

Though I do want to say that cell phone usage at gas stations is not science. Some people worry about way too much!

I love how this show has brought so many people together on your blog. Just look at everyone's stories!