Thursday, April 17, 2008

just say no.

As part of my New Year's resolve, I've been trying to change my pushover ways. I have a hard time saying "no" - I think its because I don't ask for help unless I'm desperate, and I assume others are the same.

One of the inspirations for this goal is this tom foolery called "door to door sales" that happens way to often in our complex. I've been meaning to get a "No Soliciting" sign. I even have a peep hole (that I purchased and had installed from yes, a door to door saleswoman, oh the irony!), and that still doesn't stop me from opening the door to strangers. I listen to the shpeel, then pretend like I'm interested, and never follow up. What a horrendous waste of time!

Yesterday someone rang the doorbell, then pounded on the door, then rang it again. I was putting PG down for a nap, so needless to say I was already annoyed when I finally made it downstairs to see who was at the door. 2 very enthusiastic mid-late 40's women greeted me.
  • "Do you have a Bible?"
  • "Yes, several - I don't think I need to buy anymore, but thank you".
  • "Oh we're not selling them - We'd like to come in and tell you a little about Jesus".
  • "I already know all about Jesus. Thanks though". Then I closed the door.
Eh? Pretty impressive, Old Sarah totally would have invited them in even though I am perfectly content with my current religion. Plus, going door to door for any reason has gotta suck. If I can say "no" to learning about Jesus, I think I can say "no" to pretty much anything.

6 comments:

Lindy said...

Oh you're definitely on your way! I think I have the opposite problem--it's call Rude B**** Syndrome. Apparently when we were buying our minivan, I mean super hot sports car, I actually raised my voice loud enough for all of the dealership to enjoy. I'm sorry my friends--I don't like being handled!

Ben said...

That makes me laugh Sarah. Laurie got so annoyed with me when I let the JWs in in Belgium. Haha.

Way to be strong.

AnnaYoung said...

Its not like you said no the the REAL Jesus, you're still probably pretty good in his book : )

And you have to start getting pushy when a SPANISH SPEAKING door to door salesmen keeps trying to sell you a Kirby Vaccuum, or myabe it was a free carpet cleaning, I'm not sure becuase he dind't speak english but SPANISH--ehhhhhh. Buy the sign-NOW.

Anonymous said...

Lol! I am so totally the same way. That's why I don't answer private or unknown phone calls, because they suck me in with their sale spiel. Vinnie's the complete opposite though. He says no to just about every sales pitch he hears.

SuburbanZoo said...

A black chick who showed up at our door trying to sell hubby some kind of witch-doctor cleanser in a spray bottle. When he told her "NO!!" she said, "Aw yoo a Mowmun? Well, yoo da roodist Mowmun I evuh saw!"

Wow.

Leith said...

Sarah, I just have to tell you how much I love your "rants". You say it like I want to. To me you've always been the epitome of a fantastically ballsy woman. Way to go saying "no" to annoying people who invade your privacy and suck precious time!