Friday, February 27, 2009

food for thought.

I went to purchase some various dessert-y items for a chocolate fondue night. One of the items was marshmallows - something I haven't purchased in at least 5 years (why? I have no idea, they are delicious). On the bag it said "a fat-free food". What? Really, who would pick this up, and think "Oh - marshmallows, what a healthy snack". Apparently someone - cause its on there.....but I digress.

Then I started to thinking about all those claims where people became overweight from eating unhealthily and blamed the food source (fast food for example). No wonder America is overweight. We're idiots about food (and I'm certain other things). I know a lot about eating healthy. Do I practice what I preach? Hell no, I'm not kidding myself. But I can tell you this much - if you pick up a box/bag of candy and think to yourself "oh fat-free, what a healthy snack" you're not the brightest bulb.

I should have gone in to advertising.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You still can girllie, you still can

Brock and Kristina said...

thanks for the advice about the nurses, i'll keep that in mind for next time and if i am really in labor and dialated to a 7, it's possible i could snap at something like that. on a side note....one of my favorite snacks...microwave s'mores. graham crackers, chocolate chips and marshmallows, zap em for about 15 seconds...yum yum. that's pretty much what I use all my marshmellows for. enjoy!

Jackie said...

I also hate all that sneaky marketing!

Also, dip marshmallows in melted chocolate. You'll find yourself needing to buy them frequently.

AnnaYoung said...

Sooo. . . . you're saying that my York Peppermint Patties are NOT healthy despite the shiny wrapper shouting at me that its low-fat? Ha! next thing you know you'll be telling me Good 'N Plenty really ISN'T a low fat food! You're crazy. Packaging is like the internet--its all true.

PS. I had to buy marshmellows for a scanvenger hunt last weekend to make a 'marshmellow man at least 12 inches tall'. I was up against teachers and lets just say, it's a good thing they were'nt judging on looks. I drew a face with a felt pen and they had candied Frosty over there at their table. .. . jerks.

Anonymous said...

Yes I have heard babysitting is a great form of birth control. :)However, I did have a dream about PG the other night so it must be fate. We enjoyed that cruise, however they weren't my favorite port of calls. It was dirt cheap but I'd pay more for something different. Check out vacationstogo.com and see if that helps. They usually post some screamin' deals!

Suzanne said...

Look what you did... now Shane has to run to the store to buy me marshmallows...