Monday, February 9, 2009

"we smell like......bread!"

Long story short: I went to a local grocery store which I don't normally frequent. But I forgot bread, and the store is close. The following conversation ensued as I was decided whether to gamble on a brand named "Farm Bread".

Stranger (20 something male, in a very polite voice): "Excuse me, can I just reach past you?" (I was blocking him with my cart).
Me: (noticing he grabbed the very same whole wheat Farm Bread I was eyeing.) "Oh, I'm sorry. Hey - so you've had this brand before?"
Stranger: Looks at me like I'm crazy. Then looks at the ground and mutters. "Yeah".
Me: "Ok, is it any good?"
Stranger: (Again with the crazy look). "Yeah, sure whatever." And walks away.
I'm not sure if he was annoyed or terrified. Needless to say, I wanted to follow him with my cart and clip his heels. Apparently asking a stranger a question nowadays is faux pas - I didn't get the memo. 

I guess its only appropriate to list other things that have annoyed me in recent days: 
snow, octuplets, the price of Bagefuls, my ever dirty kitchen floor, the movie Troy, and an ad I saw for "Baby Rats". Ah. Bring it on Monday.

7 comments:

Lindy said...

Why are strangers so rude sometimes? I went to pick up some food from Chilis on Saturday after righteously attending a youth fireside and there was a lady sitting on a bench by the to go counter. I politely asked her if she was in line, and in respond she gave me a rude look and shook her head minutely. I guess it would have been more polite for me to just jump right in front of her without asking. Now I know for next time.

Jackie said...

I totally hear you on the annoyance level. What is with octuplets and Bagefuls?!? And rude 20-something males??

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started on octuplets...

Ben said...

Sorry to be the annoying French-speaker, but did you mean "faux pas" instead of fopah?

the Allers said...

Ben - sure sure. I actually looked up various spellings, and the previous one was from "Urban Dictionary", so I just went with that. But yours looks more familiar, thus its changed. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't ever ask men shopping questions, unless it's "I really need someone to make out with right now, you free?". They just don't know how to respond.

Ben, you are the annoying French speaker. Stop correcting our French Faux Pas! :)

Suzanne said...

I was just going to say, "Don't even get me started on the octuplets..." but then I saw JessaBelle already did, so instead of repeating her, I'll just say nothing...