Wednesday, January 25, 2012

santa lying slavery (playing Christmas catch-up)

I've never been onboard with the whole "Santa" thing, and therefore have never gone into great detail about Santa with my children. I think its because I feel weird lying to them. (So, where does Santa live? Why can't all reindeer fly? How do you know Santa likes cookies? The questions go on for eternity). But I may as well have asked Dave if I could sell the chillins for medical experiments when I told him I didn't want to indulge in the Santa myth. Thus I'm forced into Santa lying slavery. Because of all this, you can imagine that my children are less than prepared when it comes to St. Nick.

When it came time for PG to sit on Santa's lap at our church Christmas party - he looked at me like I was crazy, and rightfully so. We're encouraging our young children to sit on a strange old man's lap for candy. Think about it people.

Mom, can't I just stand and talk to him? Why do I need to tell him what I want? I already sent him a letter.....Good point son, I understand your confusion. And no, no you do not have to sit on his lap (although peer pressure coerced him in to it).

Also - isn't part of good parenting forcing your children to do something terrifying for your amusement? This is Ells approx. 1 millisecond after I plopped her on Santa's lap....




Oh the humanity!

Isn't part of good parenting forcing your children to do something terrifying for your amusement...TWICE?
Sorry little lady, I had to do it again, because it was just that funny. (I honestly thought the candy would sweeten the deal. Ha...hahahaha. No, no it did not.)


And to all a good night.


1 comment:

i'm jackie. he's doug. said...

The Santa thing can be suuuper weird, right? Fun tradition, but it takes a string of lies to keep it alive.

By the way, I love that PG is laughing as Ells endures her own person hell.