Monday, February 27, 2012

honey, I'm home....without a non vital organ.

*Warning - picture of an organ (anatomy, not instrument) post surgery.

As I'm sure many of you read/heard, Dave had his appendix out on Saturday. We went to the ER nice and early that morning thinking A) Appendicitis or B) Kidney Stone because the abdominal pain was so intense. They told us Dave either had a "case of really bad gas" or "food poisoning".....really. I can't blame them - his blood and urine samples checked out fine. We were sent home with anti-nausea medication because of all the vomiting. Oh wait, there was no vomiting. And my kids definitely looked homeless...aaaaand ER with kids = hell on earth. An unpleasant morning all around.

So Dave loafed around in bed all day. I thought he was just resting, but I guess the pain was getting steadily worse. He didn't tell me the pain was crazy high until that night. Aunt/Nurse Dixie told us to go back to the ER immediately. This time we came prepared with our own blanket and snacks. After a few minutes it was apparent that surgery needed to happen soon because his test were off the charts and the CT scan showed a ginormous appendix.


Nighty night babe. Enjoy those drugs. (Sorry its blurry. The surgeon was staring at me, probably thinking I'm weird....and he's probably right).

Surgery revealed this bad boy. Which apparently was super huge. We're lucky it didn't s'plode inside him.

Headed home. He had to stay for 2 days. Can I just say sleeping in a hospital cot was dreamy....

Thank you to all our friends and family who helped us out the past few days. Fo' realz. We are super blessed.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

WHAT. THE. WHAT?!?!

I'm so sorry his appendix turned on him. I hope he recuperates well and that you never have to sleep on a hospital cot again.

P Gersch said...

"Aw, honey, I'm so sorry you're in pain. Here, let me just take a picture to remember this all."
Classic Sarah.
Don't make him laugh for the next week or so unless he's made you chronically peeved. :)

Nicole said...

Wow! Hope this means fewer ER trips in the future. I'm glad all ended well!

Unknown said...

I would have feigned a massive coronary and checked MYSELF in if I had to take my kids to an ER . Glad all survived!