Monday, May 7, 2007

Movies - schmoovies


As many of you know - I (Sarah, and I guess Dave too), graduated with a Bachelor's in Media Arts (aka 'Film'). What many of you don't know is - I hate the movies (in general). I hate renting them, going to the theater, and working on them (for the most part). Maybe I got burnt out in school, maybe there are only greasy people/studios in the industry, or maybe I'm too ADD to sit through anything longer than 30 min. Regardless, what isn't helping the situation is block-buster releases such as Spiderman 3.

All I have to say is Sam Raimi - you're dead to me. I'm not a comic book fan, and I don't know much about Spiderman. But what I do know is that the first 2 were great, and the 3rd was 2 hours and 20 minutes of my life I won't get back. Who needs 3 bad guys, and a million character plot lines? And Sony pictures - you completely wasted $258 million dollars, for shame. Feed Africa! Even Dinosaur was outraged - he pummeled my tummy for a good 2 hours after the movie was over, with what I can only image were tiny fists of rage.

Of course this unleashing of anger isn't all Spidey's fault - I'm just killing the messenger. The majority of the films I'm have seen have ended in regret, and a good hour of ranting. There's no solution. Millions of $ will continue to be spent on films like White Chicks, Fast and the Furious, and xXx (which all reigned at the box office for a time). Why? Because Hollywood is dealing to the lowest common denominator. And why not? $ is $ and these films will always fill the theaters. Have we come to expect nothing more from the box office? Or is the majority of film audiences too easily entertained - so Hollywood isn't trying anymore.

All I know is when there's a shimmer of hope, such as Spidey 3, its squashed with bad lines, no solid plot, and a superhero that has a double chin. RIP.

5 comments:

Jake Spurlock said...

Poor little dino, having to suffer through such garbage... What adds to movie torture, is that unlike TV, we have to pay $8-12 to subject to ourselves to such mindless waste.

daveghax said...

so angry. granted, the story was all over the place. and there were some seriously weird non-sequiturs. (that dancing scene from 'the mask'? what was that all about?) but i'll be honest. i was entertained. i certainly wasn't angry about it. granted, i didn't pay for it. and they gave us 'all-you-can-eat' concessions at the theater. and they took us out for an amazing steak dinner after the screening. but maybe i'm just a part of the mindless masses. or maybe being in utah so long has made you perpetually pissed. either way, you are right about one thing. if 'are we there yet?' hadn't made 100 million dollars, 'are we done yet?' never would have gotten made. i guess as movie goers, we get what we pay for. sad.

Lindy said...

I'll admit that I can only name two movies that I've seen in the last year or so that I enjoyed (The Prestige and Stranger Than Fiction), but that doesn't mean a small part of my soul didn't hurt when you made a derogatory comment about White Chicks. That movie is funny. I laughed out loud in the theater almost the entire time. I bet Dino would have liked it. I implore you to let him form his own opinion about that movie. You don't have to let him decide about the Wayans Brothers in general, but at least let him give White Chicks a chance.
P.S. I did not enjoy either of the first two Spiderman movies for the following reasons: 1) I do not like Kiersten Dunst (sp?), 2) Tobey McGuire (sp?) is have asleep at all times, and 3) they were way too long. Once a movie hits 90 minutes turn that sucker off.

Jackie said...

Three comments about the Spidey movies:
1. I never want to see Kirsten Dunst (sp?) braless in a wet shirt again.
2. Dr. whatever with all the creepy arms was very scary and made my spine ache, but I still felt really bad when he met his fate.
3. I think Peter Parker needs to learn to be more open and honest with people. It would really simplify things and it would give the bad guys less ammo.

I haven’t seen numero tres yet, but I guarantee the husband will need to see it soon. I’m just lucky I don’t have an unborn that will pound my inner cavities out of rage.

whitney said...

hey sarah,
thanks for having us over the other night! just give us a call if you find anything broken in your apartment. :) we definitely have busy little boys. that's too bad that spider man 3 was so sucky. even though i've heard from numerous sources how bad it is, i'll still probably subject myself to it. oh well. it's something to do, right?