Beneficial? Perhaps - but there are really no words to describe. I was an absolute mess. I could not stop laughing the entire time, and it wasn't that the subject matter made me uncomfortable or anything.....I'll let you be the judge - here are some highlights.
- Teacher: typical sweet, squatty, early 50's-ish lactation consultant who's motto is "breastfeed or die".
- Props: She brought little pillows that looked like boobs.
- Demos: You'd think the little pillows that looked like boobs would be used in the demonstrations, but you're wrong. She used her own! Obviously she had clothes on - but what the f? I literally had to plug my nose to stop the laughter when she held up the duo breast-pump to her chest.
- Michael Jordan: She credited Michael Jordon being the athlete he is today b/c he was breastfed until he was 3.5 years of age.
- How long to BF: She recommended minimum - breastfeeding your child until they are 1, but said 2-3 years old is preferred.
- Bottles? Pacifiers? The Devils work!: She said absolutely no pacifiers or bottles for your child until they are at least 4 weeks old....it will derail how they are learning to breastfeed.
- No Sleep@ the Hospital: After your new baby has arrived, you have the option of having him sleep in the nursery. The nurses will bring him in when its time for him to eat, or whenever you like. This is so mom can recover. BUT if you are breastfeeding - forget it! you must have your baby in room at all times.
- Visitors Shmisitors: If your child needs to breastfeed, and you have hospital visitors - tell them now is not a good time.
- Cherry on Top: We got a HUGE packet of the course material. Here is an actual quote: "The choices we make are never easy Harry, but in the end they make us who we are" - Dumbledore, Harry Potter - Order of the Phoenix
6 comments:
haha! no words. just love. :)
HAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAHahahahahahahahahahah!!!! I love it!!
And maybe she used herself as the model so you guys could see the 'logistics' on a real person, you know, with second breast, arms, and rest of body in the way? Nevertheless, the Harry Potter quote in the breastfeeding literature packet ROCKS!
I am also speechless.
Two cheers for Michael Jordan, Harry Potter, and the BF-modeling lady!!
Carnation Good Start Rules.
The woman who taught our breastfeeding class said things like, "I like to make jokes from time to time." Huh. Additionally, she had fake boobs but demonstrated on herself as well. It was a really long two and a half hours. Also, some good it did me...
I can't believe you are so close to birthing dino! That is so cool!
um...your teacher is being dubbed the Lactation Nazi!
Post a Comment