Monday, April 6, 2009

thanks TLC.

I watched this show on TLC called "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant". I know.....Gigga what?

So basically it can happen - and there are few commonalities (WARNING: some may be more than you want to hear):
  • Little to no weight gain (or other typical pregnancy symptoms for that matter).
  • "Spotting" which these women took to be their regular menstrual cycle, OR some women never had a menstrual cycle due to various medical conditions.
  • Hmmmm, how shall I say this? Lame forms for birth control, OR mixing meds with the Pill (ex. anti-biotics).
  • Dito the previous preface.....most of the women had (and I quote) "large frames". Hence the lack of weight gain.
  • No noticeable baby movements.
  • All women gave birth extremely quickly, within an hour of initial "cramping".
I think what was most disturbing, was that eventhough some of the women figured out they were in labor, they were incredibly stupid (for lack of a better word at 12:30 am) about what to do with the baby after it was born. Example - one gave birth in a campground bathroom (which makes me want to scream) and just let it fall on the concrete floor. Another in a fastfood bathroom, and let it fall into the toilet, and a co worker didn't even fish it out until the 911 operator told her to. (Note - all the babies on this episode miraculously survived). Is it just me, or are we lacking some common sense here? I know - the situation is traumatic, but come on people.

But I have to say - wouldn't it be awesome if you wanted to be pregnant, and you were, but you didn't know it? No weight gain, no heels pummeling your insides, no vomiting, and only an hour or less of noticeable labor?

Until of course, you feel like your insides are going to explode, and all of the sudden you have a baby in a campground bathroom......

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely don't understand. Sometime I think "What if I was really five months pregnant?" but then I remember that I was showing at 3 months with my second one and sick for the first four months. How peaceful to discover you are pregnant and only have a short while left. I hope these nutty ladies had their children placed with intelligent people...

Jackie said...

I've been thinking about this show ever since you told me you were going to watch it, and I'm grateful for this report.

My only question: How do I sign up for this? (Minus, as stated, the campground bathroom.)

Unknown said...

Did you hear that one girl state that she chalked up her intense pain/cramping to GAS? What the HELL kind of GAS has this woman been having???? Honestly.

Lindy said...

When women say they didn't know they were pregnant I just don't know if I can possibly believe that. Not only is it quite possibly one of the most uncomfortable predicaments, it lasts for nine months! Ok, ok, not realizing it for a couple of months I get. But nine months? I just don't believe it!

Sam and Terri said...

I saw the ads on TLC for this show and wanted to watch it, but missed it. I've never been pregnant, but can only imagine that is something you shouldn't noticing for the first time as the baby is coming out of you. Good grief.