Monday, February 22, 2010

touche.

Long story short - I needed more Tums. I've already downed one of those giant Costco tubs (if you are pregnant, or you know someone that is, heartburn = hell). So we went to the store to get a small pack to hold me until I could get to Costco for another giant tub. I immediately grabbed the smallest generic brand pack. Mr. Aller of course goes...

D: "What are you doing?"
Me: "What?"
D: "Don't get the generic. Please." (Common disagreement among us)
Me: "Why does it matter? You're not eating them."
D: "Here - just get these." (Pulls out Tums which are twice the price).
Me: "I still don't get....."
D: (Interrupting) "OOHHHH! Tums Smoothies! Get these! Get these!"
Me: "Babe - these have the exact same ingredients. Marketing at its best. And you've fallen for it."
D: "I don't care - we're getting them, and you'll love them"
Me: yeah, as much as anyone can love Tums. So sick of Tums.....

So we get in the car, and I open my fancy pack of Tums and pop one into my mouth. Can I just say heaven? It was DE.LIC.IOUS. D tried one and started laughing. All I could surrender was a "touche". I guess now we'll have to take out a second mortgage in order to pay for my addiction to extravagant Tums Smoothies.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Tums smoothies are totally worth the extra $3. Ive gone through 2 big bottles in my ssecond trimester. But seriously - the BEST thing you can take is the over the counter 150 mg zantac. HEAVEN. Heartburn is the bane of my existence.

Jackie said...

Tums knows how to taste delicious?! Preposterous.

Cheeler said...

Hey Senora Aller --

Omeprazole is awesome. Should fix the heartburn much better than the tums, and also should help with nausea if you're still having any of that. A little pricey, but totally worth it. I'd hook you up if you guys ever found your way to the midwest HINT HINT

Cheeler said...

just to clarify:

omeprazole > zantac > tums

Suzanne said...

I was JUST (as in, 15 seconds ago) telling another pregnant girlfriend of mine how she needs to go to the store RIGHT NOW and purchase some Tums Smoothies. It's like candy! A gift straight from God to pregnant women everywhere.

Anonymous said...

As I recall, didn't you eat tums for fun through college? I always remember a carton of them next to your bed.

the Allers said...

Karene - what you are recalling is a bottle of Pepto, which I drank straight from, like a bottle of gin. Always. Stress relief = Pepto, Red Bull and some sort of chocolate. (At least it did circa early 2000's). But you are indeed correct.

AnnaYoung said...

I don't remeber the red bull by your bed. . . .

But that aside, clara thinks that my rolaids are treats. She'll wander to my bedstand or the kitchen and point and yell "Treet! TREEEEEEEEEEEET!!" Until I either give in or manage to distract her.