Monday, August 9, 2010

carded.

I finally got carded! Of all the billions of times I've purchased alcoholic beverages for film props and crew, today was the first time someone actually asked for my ID......for the purchase of cooking Sherry. It wasn't even real sherry, just "cooking sherry" Wow. Utah is a special place.

For those of you who are curious - the only alcoholic-y beverages UT stores carry is beer and cooking wine (and NyQuil maybe?). So if I want a good real wine for cooking, I have to haul myself and my children to an actual liquor store. Classy. Once I asked where the wines were at a Macey's, and you would have thought I propositioned the store clerk. Seriously.

4 comments:

Lindy said...

Doughty--have you forgotten that cooking sherry is Professor Trelawney's drink of choice? It's a real drink with real consequences!

the Allers said...

Jones - you're correct. I'm such a fool!

michelle said...

I told you about my Macey's experience right?

Me to the sales guy: "Do you have cooking wine?"

Him (in a really really loud voice and looking around so people knew he was saying "no to drugs") says: "No mayam, we do not sell wine here! You have to go to a LIQUOR store for that!"

Me: "but it's cooking wine.."

Him: "WE DO NOT SELL WINE HERE!"

And yes they do. Some lady showed me where it was.

daveghax said...

one time i tried to buy nyquil at a provo grocery store after midnight on saturday night. i was informed (after i was carded) that it was 12:15, and as it was now the sabbath, it was illegal to buy alcohol. utah ftw